Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Getting my priorities straight

It is a run like today's that makes running so addictive.

The sky was blue, humidity in the MidAtlantic region was livable for a change, and I felt power in every stride. It just  doesn't get any better than that.

But rnning great today wasn't an accident. I have eaten carefully for the last several days. And I did weight training (hard) over the weekend, so much that I was washed out yesterday.

And that's the secret, isn't it? We learn that weight training and intervals and careful diet and a light day of training beforehand can set the stage for a great run. And we're so addicted we do all kinds of things to get there.

I confess that I hate lifting weights. I love to eat. I hate swimming laps. And I'm not really crazy about intervals.

So how in the world did I get to a point where I have a week of all day garbage so that I get to have one great run? How did the hamburger crowd out the USDA choice?

At my age, I recognize that I'm never going to be good at weight lifting. Perhaps, I can aspire to be an adequate competitive swimmer.

But I'm a born runner. Running makes me more fit, more confident. It allows me to work with people half my age. It helps me relax and unwind.

Running helps me think better, organize my life. I'm a writer, and I know half of my best ideas -- OK, probably most of my best ideas -- came while I was running. And most of the personal problems I have get worked out in my running shoes.

Finally, running makes me a better person. I am more patient, more understanding, because I run. Lord knows, I'm more spiritual.

It makes me feel good. It makes me happy. And it doesn't really get any better than that.

So, yeah, I'll show up at the gym every now and then, because it always pays off. And, yeah, I'll work in a few intervals, just for the heck of it. I'll try to watch what I eat (a little).

But the main thing is running. Running for the sheer joy it brings.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Matthew @ Lasik for Your Surgeon said...

Many thanks! This post seems to have done the trick!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home